Monday, March 11, 2013

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

My attention was drawn to this book after many a mention from friends, within the bloggersphere realm or otherwise. Each recommendation heralded it as a revelation, nothing short of genius. Reviews around the globe reiterated the sentiment, Topping many best sellers lists, but I approached with caution.
There is always something of a risk with over hype. We must all have had that deflating feeling, when something comes so highly recommended, you consistently hear "its so wonderful, you simply MUST read it." Which tricks your brain into believing it'll be literally life changing. You must buy this Chloe, life as you know it will never be the same! Only to find, in reality it is well written, but not for you.
This was my worry. So I browsed my local (The Riverside bookshop in London Bridge, I highly recommend it) and I saw it, of course, in the best sellers block, I picked it up to scan the blurb. Admittedly the subject matter sparked my intrigue but I wasn't convinced, it seemed to me like a book written just so it could be a movie. It wasn't until I stumbled upon on a quote from the book on another book lovers blog that I was convinced.
Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say life changing, but I found TFIOS to be engaging, tragic and charming all wrapped up in one emotion filled ball. I enjoyed it so much so I devoured it in two and a half days.
The story follows teenage terminal cancer suffer Hazel Grace and her romance with Augustus. Two teenagers falling in love in the backdrop of a cancer support group, not your usual puppy love tale.
What Green manages to do so well here, is to capture the enchanting charm of teenage innocent love perfectly. Hazel and Augustus impress each other with their wit and for want of a MUCH better word, banter, in conversations that will have you beaming from ear to ear.
The beauty of this tale lies in the feeling of reading them falling for each other, if the characters had been older it wouldn't have been half as charming, its their youth that makes it so lovely.
I'm torn in calling this novel tragic, although I suppose in definition, it is. In actuality, I think, its more of a celebration of the littlest things that make life good, in any circumstance. I can honestly say I spent most of the book smiling like the Cheshire cat and on the verge of tears at the same time and I famously have a heart of stone, so that really is an impressive feat.
So, as you can tell, I loved this book. Why then did it take me so long to write this review? I wanted it to be a sincere representation, but to put it lightly (because this is not a place to over share) this was a subject close to home for me, so on finishing the last page, rather than jumping online to muse to you all about how delightful a read it was, I gave it to my not so literary loving other half. I wanted a less biast  opinion, and I'm not sure I could do that. I was also vaguely suspicious that its a 'girls book.' So I figured what better way to judge than asking a real human boy. Enlighten us Luke..

Luke: IT WAS GOOD, YEAH.

Well, I needn't say any more, that should tell you all you need to know.

In review, TFIOS is not Dickens, its not complex and difficult, it won't leave you with a furrowed brow desperately trying to understand what the last 800 pages were actually about. What it is, is a story. A great story in its simplest form, about humans and their lives. Its beautiful, honest, heart wrenching and funny, such is life.

The end.


For fans of: Mark Watson, David Nichols.
Opinions are cool friends, so share your if you like!






No comments:

Post a Comment